top of page

Parish History

Below are photos from our Parish history. To learn more, scroll down to read the fascinating beginnings of our church.

History of Our Faith Community

Following the Second World War, Niagara Falls experienced a great increase in population. The spiritual needs of the Catholic community called for new parishes to be established. In response to the population increase, Cardinal James McGuigan, Archbishop of Toronto, established a mission from St. Patrick's Church. Land was purchased from the tract known as "Cout's Farm" in Stamford Township. 

 

Fr. Wilfrid Smith, O.Carm. was the first priest to celebrate Sunday Eucharist in the new mission church. The name "Our Lady of the Scapular" was given to the new church in recognition of the Carmelite Order; the first shepherds of the new community. The originalbuilding on the property was a converted welding shop with a seating capacity of 100 persons. 

 

In June 1951 the mission was raised to the status of a parish. Fr. J. Austin Sweeney was appointed the first pastor on September8th, 1951. In 1953, an addition to the former welding shop was built. It increased the seating capacity of the church to 280 persons. 

 

Construction work on the Sir Adam Beck Generating Station No. 2 brought a great influx of families into the area. As well, the development of land formerly used for fruit farming brought with it increased demands upon the parish. In 1960 ground was broken for a new church. Chosen as the architect was Arthur Scott, with Dominion Construction as the contractor. 

 

On November 1st, 1960, the Most Reverend Thomas J. McCarthy, Bishop of the Diocese of 
St. Catharines, blessed the new church. The old church, located directly east of the new church became the parish hall. 

 

After the completion of seventeen years, Fr. Sweeney was transferred to another parish. Fr. Patrick Gravelle served as administrator until Fr. Emmet Lacey was appointed pastor in 1969. Fr. Lacey undertook the construction of parish offices and a residence for the priests of the parish attached to the sacristy area of the church. 

 

In 1976 Msgr. Vincent Ferrando was appointed pastor until his retirement in 1992. During his sixteen years, a chapel for the reservation of the Blessed Sacrament was added to the east wing of the church, and in 1984 the parish hall was renovated. Fr. Brian Bevan was appointed pastor in 1992 and completed the renovations on meeting rooms in the parish hall begun by Msgr. Ferrando. 

 

In 1994 Fr. Peter Rowe was appointed pastor. During his years of ministry, a foyer at the main entrance of the church was constructed. This included a sacristy, a reconciliation room, a quiet room, and narthex, a gathering space to greet and welcome the people of God. As well, a chapel of Our Lady of the Scapular was added to the west wing of the church. He also named the renovated rooms in the parish hall - 
Fr. Sweeney Hall, Msgr. Ferrando Room, and Fr. Lacey Upper Room.

 

Fr. Rowe was replaced by Fr. Hugh Gibson in 2005. Long overdue renovations to the hall kitchen and hall floors were completed. An announcement sign for the church was built and continues to inform and attract the attention of people using Thorold Stone Road. It is a wonderful instrument of evangelization as well as a community builder. The church and rectory also received a steel roof during these years. 

 

In 2012 Msgr. Leo Clutterbuck was appointed pastor followed by Fr. Paul MacNeil who served for eight years. Two more priests served as pastor through to 2024, Fr. Jose Karikompil and Fr. Michael Basque.  In 2024, we welcomed our current pastor, Fr. Greg Schmidt who led required renovations to the church and alter flooring, stained glass windows and much appreciated improvements to the lighting and sound systems, along with our meaningful new crucifix. 

 

Our Lady of the Scapular is one of the largest parishes within the Diocese of St. Catharines. We minister to five excellent Catholic elementary schools: Notre Dame, Cardinal Newman, Mary Ward, St. Gabriel Lalemant and St. Vincent de Paul, and one outstanding Catholic secondary school:  St. Paul Secondary School. Our Lady of the Scapular parish continues to grow and flourish through our dedicated priests and the active lay organizations and ministry groups.  

 

Our parish is a place of hope to encounter Christ, experience His love, and live His mission, where all are welcome to pray, to belong, to grow in faith, to serve together and to make Our Lady of the Scapular your spiritual home. 

bottom of page